Saturday, August 09, 2008

A Coin In The Fountain...

Walking that Dark Road

August 5, 2008

Made a decision today. What the heck, I'm going out. I will bring along friends from the office. Let them see me in a different element, one these particular friends of mine are not so used to seeing me in. I brought along my cues today. Usually people from the office have not seen how I play billiards other than at the downstairs table after office hours.

Took them to Elbow Room. Saw a few old friends. A familiar albeit different group that somehow helped me through what I fondly called a Dark Road I previously walked. Now I'm walking a similar Road, I welcome those familiar faces. Looks like I will be here a while.

The rest of the night was a blur. But at the corner of my eye, something stands out with a crystal-like clarity I did not notice before. I felt a strange kind of comfort, the kind you don't really want to linger on due to its limbo-like appeal. I felt good about my game. I was competing more against myself while I play with officemates to have some fun. Time flew. But even after quitting time, I still made sure my friends got home safe. But on my way home, that vision still burns clear at the back of my mind.

Like the ridges of a coin I hold in the palm of my hand...

Opening Ceremony

August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympics 2008! First day, and opening ceremonies will be a very highly anticipated event. But I wasn't home early watching the Opening Ceremony. I was elsewhere. This "Opening" of mine took me across most of Ortigas as well as fringes of Quezon City. Never had such interesting conversation that bordered on extreme caution in quite a while.

My back to the fountain, I close my eyes, held the coin for one second more...

Today felt very much like my highschool days all over again. But today is pretty much twenty one years later. An assuring cup of coffee in my hand, overlooking a view blocked by an overgrowth of trees, with the quiet trickle of the fountain beside us, I tried to savor this moment of awkwardness. Why is this all happening to me? And why is it happening so fast?

I could feel the ripples in the fountain when the coin hit the water. Pitting myself against Fate once more, I quietly made my impossible wish...

I still got home in time to see the torch lighting ceremony. It was perfect. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger x said...

it's a wonder how every physical thing a person does is also symbolic, too, noh? :)

August 14, 2008 12:29 PM  
Blogger Kyuzo said...

never really thought of it that way, but you have a point there acey.

what can i say, i'm very much a believer in Fate, but not it's slave. ;)

thanks for visiting. :)

August 19, 2008 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home