Friday, September 01, 2006

Like A Cub Among Lions...

August 31, 2006...

Was able to get out of the office relatively early today. Just before stepping out of the new office, one of the waiters asked me if I was interested in playing billiards against some of the local patrons. You see, the office to which I transferred had a function room at the ground floor which had a billiard table and bar. I gave it some thought and quickly said to myself, why not?

The local patrons who I see play regularly here are actually some of the major figures in the Philippine construction industry. There are big name architects, contractors, engineers and even developers which you hear only in side discussions or come across only paper in my line of work. Suddenly felt like a cub among a pride of lions... I only play a small role in the construction industry compared to these people. Don't get me wrong, these lions may be old, but they still got teeth! They all took turns playing against me, obviously gauging my strengths and weaknesses on the billiard table. And their billiard game is at a very good level of competitive play, a level which I'm comfortable in matching. I had a feeling they would provide some stiff competition too, since I do see them practically every night running the racks on my way home.

In the end, I was extended an invitation to their annual billiard competition against the upper group. Baptism of fire right there on the spot. Come Monday, the cub will go up against the lions once again...

Later that night, I was interviewed along with some friends on a radio program called Heard on Thursdays. We talked about our hobby tabletop miniature wargaming. It was an interesting experience to say the least, since we were able to tell a lot of listeners about the hobby and the fun we get out of it. I even got to see DJ's Francesca and Danielle. Coolness! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home