Sunday, August 13, 2006

Breaking-in The Guardian...

Venue : Hobby Haven near Katipunan

Peeps in attendance : Goatee Pork, Big Kim, Bigger Emp, Daddy Joel, Serious Fred, Geloman, Obidoo

With the guardian warjack newly painted and an early finish to a boring Saturday, I thought of checking out where the regular Warmachine players are at and see if I can benchmark how the army fares with the new and better Steamroller2 rules. Was later able to locate the boyz over at Hobby Haven, a local game shop near Katipunan. The place is now a bit more cramped the last time I remember it, with the on-going addition of a mezzanine. Felt a little pride in showing off the newly painted Guardian warjack and equally intrigued to see how it plays out on the battlefield.

Came up with a list with the Guardian in mind as well as a proxie of some models I might consider taking:

500pt List
Warcaster : High Exemplar Kreoss
Warjacks : Guardian Heavy Warjack, Crusader Heavy Warjack, Revenger Light Warjack
Units : Knights Exemplar, 2xDeliver Sunburst(1 proxy)
Solos : 3xWracks, Paladin of The Order of the Wall(proxy)

1st Game - Khador (Vlad) vs. Menoth (Kreoss)
Scenario : Assassins
Highlights : I've come across Kim's Widowmakers, Mortars, and Manhunter before. The only way for me to stand a chance in winning is getting to his warcaster Vlad and hope to put him down. With the way his forces are deployed, the only way to get to Vlad is run forward and run his guantlet of Demo Corp, Kovnik, and Spriggan warjack... and if I get passed that, surely the widowmakers and mortar will be waiting for me. Later on in the game, I was only able to get Kreoss past the gauntlet and the widowmakers only to be cut down by Vlad.
Result : Win for Khador

2nd Game - Cryx (Skarre) vs. Menoth (Kreoss)
Scenario : Assassins
Highlights : Deathjack and Bokur! Gosh what a sight. Bane thralls, Skarre and Bokur cannot be shot down, which proved difficult. Skarre went on the attack and pulled a lethal combo of a boosted skarre bomb courtesy of a skarlock sacrifice. Dunno if all that made any sense. I survived, which prompted skarre to huddle up behind Bokur and the Deathjack. I tried countering with my feat and came up short in taking her out. A few turns later, Skarre was able to walk away from charge range and kill off Kreoss at a safe distance.
Result : Win for Cryx

Wanted to go for the hat trick against Pork's Mercs but everybody wanted to call it a day and grab a bite to eat before going to da Shak. We motored on to Lots-A-Pizza and literally had A LOT of pizza (3 large and 3 extra large according to Kim's account). Laugh trip galore too, with the special mention on the possibilities of 1.5 liter pet bottles as a drop pod. Went home shortly after that, with some knowledge on my army composition and tactics. Maybe with enough inspiration to finish painting the rest of my stuff too.

11 Comments:

Blogger Pinoy Wargamer said...

*Kim makes first WM post!*

I was hoping to go up against Menoth players, EJ or Carlos, but instead got to fight you. Good game, man. Kohones of Steel award for you for breaking off combat with the Spriggan to run to Vlad. I'd enjoy other games, maybe even try out different warcasters next time. And of course, no drop pods for me. Unless they'e still filled with Da Holy Drink!

^_^

August 13, 2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger Kyuzo said...

same here dude. i'd welcome the thought of going up against your khador when the opportunity presents itself again, hopefully with more painted and less proxied the next time for me. ;)

of course, fred's discussion on PET bottles as drop pods still eludes me. too bad we don't have a recorder to capture all the rex impersonations. maybe emp will be able to help us out. :D

August 14, 2006 1:01 AM  
Blogger Pinoy Wargamer said...

After seeing the close up pics, it'd seem I'll be painting at an even slower pace and paying more attention to digicam detail. Now I wanna dunk Vlad in some brake fluid...

August 14, 2006 1:51 AM  
Blogger Kyuzo said...

there you go again! for all you know its the digicam focus that's all screwed up. i would like you to finish the demo corp and spriggan first before doing any repaints. vlad is still ok in my book.

August 14, 2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

too bad we don't have a recorder to capture all the rex impersonations. maybe emp will be able to help us out.

wala akong ganun e.
----------
klingon word verification: ujcssw

August 15, 2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger Pinoy Wargamer said...

May problema talaga paint style ko, dude. Sa malayo, maganda sya tignan. Pero pag malapitan na (or makuhaan ng digicam pics, lumalabas yung sablay na brush strokes). Ideally it should come out like those on other sites.

+++

Spreading the word verification game fun:

kphmwhjh

Karate Punch Hurt Men With Hurtful Jujitsu Hemorrhage

August 15, 2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger Kyuzo said...

had to wait for this one to come out and its close enough:

fbsfdbf

for bloodofkings sake finish drest b4brake fluiddunking

lolz

August 15, 2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger Salubri said...

quoting kim = [May problema talaga paint style ko, dude. Sa malayo, maganda sya tignan. Pero pag malapitan na (or makuhaan ng digicam pics, lumalabas yung sablay na brush strokes). Ideally it should come out like those on other sites.]

what exactly is the problem with your strokes? if you've got more strokes showing or gritty appearance increase the water you use. if it's the blending you're not satisfied with then you'd have to use more color layers to soften the transition.

the problem with the miniature painting acrylics is that it can't be used like normal oils or acrylics in that you can't scumble paint on the painting surface. you'd have to use the method we use for blending which is layering. the lines will really appear up close. that's just how it is. unless you want to go make like painting master and do about 8 layers per progressive blending. :P

At any rate your painting is one of if not the best in the local miniature scene right now. (unless there are new people i'm not aware of) I suggest buying some cheap books on painting. Those are probably the only ones that can help you increase that skill further at this point. I'd start with Color Theory(this should be somewhere around 400-700).

Happy painting!

Oh and sorry for all the unsolicited advice. :P

August 15, 2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger Kyuzo said...

scrumble? *looks in dictionary*...

yrkso

You aRe KeSO! +P

August 17, 2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger Pinoy Wargamer said...

Man, praise from one of the masters is a big thing for me! Thanks, dude!

Vlad is a result of laziness. I was so excited with playing with him, I rushed finishing him. Yeah there may be freehand on his armor, but on close inspection, the execution is flawed. I'll be dunking him soon. Maybe after I finish epic Vlad and use him for the meantime.

I actually forced myself masterclassing mindset earlier this week painting the Old Witch and I'm pretty happy with the end result. The model has a shitload of details and I actually found it fun to pick it all out. And I resorted to an old-but-tedious-but-I-expediated style. If the office hadn't called me in, I'd have finished her. I'm about 70% on finishing old Zevanna.

If you're playing this weekend, Romy, I'll be using the Old Witch as my warcaster.

Maybe I'll get on with art books if I find time to go browse bookstores. Color theory? Right now, I'm going for if-it-feels-right-and-looks-right-then-its-all-good method LOL!

BWAHAHAHA paint like you've got a pair!!!

+++

jmkzv - Jack Marshal Kovnik ZeVanna! LOL!

August 18, 2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger Kyuzo said...

Wow. Old Witch eh? I might be in Galleria to catch up on Emcee and Ryan. Tell me your plans for the long weekend maybe I can catch up with you guys Sunday or Monday.

gtmrln - Garrickvoyle Teaching Menoth to Rock Like Nirvana... Lolz!

August 18, 2006 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home