Saturday, August 18, 2007

In Loving Memory...

Was in the middle of a meeting when I received word that Chris passed away just the night before. I had to leave the meeting abruptly just to make sure it was no joke. It had to be. Only after a few calls later did the reality of it all began to sink in. Little Chrissy's gone. She was 28.

It's been a little over a year since I last saw her when I resigned from my previous work. It was a lot less than that when I was able to talk to her on her last day at work in our former office, with plans on becoming a full time housewife, at least for a while, before she considers working again.

Chris and her Kuyas (Jong, Kiko, Romy, and Joel)
Remembering happier days...


Had fond memories of her in the brief period that I got to know her. She was the youngest and only girl in our department, our muse you might say. But a muse that packed a mean punch. Like any rose among thorns, she knew how to keep us (her Kuyas and Tatay) in our place when she's around. Sometimes I catch myself babytalking when I'm with her at work. And all the Kuyas, myself included, protected her like any other brother would his baby sister. We all laughed everytime she laughs, we all offered our hanky in the numerous occasions that she cried, and we all hid in embarrasment everytime we made her mad. She was always there for us when we were down, sometimes giving the simplest and yet the most practical advice, unusually profound wisdowm despite her years. It was with some reluctance as well as pride that we got to see her walk down the aisle on her wedding day. Those were happy days.

It's gut-wrenching knowing that such memories would not be the same to the reality that is the present. It was a sombre reunion among friends at her funeral. I saw former officemates come to pay their respects but did not really get to talk with all of them. My mind was elsewhere. The original Kuyas were present, but we were all at a loss for words. Nothing need be said, their faces told me that we were all still wondering why. It's in these instances that makes you think and question God's Purpose, for her and all of us in our brief stays here on earth.

When they left, I stayed behind for a couple more minutes, at times wishing it was all a bad dream. It was a long drive home.

Chris
August 3, 1979 - August 13, 2007


Farewell and miss you Baby Chris, wherever you are...

2 Comments:

Blogger Katia said...

what happened to her?

August 20, 2007 6:41 PM  
Blogger x said...

i'm sorry to hear(read) about her. i also lost some1 close last year,a friend(she committed suicide at 16). love and prayers! :)

September 01, 2007 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home